Local search optimization requires that you consider a lot of factors, and that you optimize your entire website to come up in search. Content is a small part of that, but you can use it to help to ensure that local potential customers can find your website. More importantly, evergreen content is one way that you can ensure that happens. Seattle businesses face a lot of competition, and evergreen content helps you to tackle two important issues, branding and search optimization.
What is Evergreen Content
Quite simply, evergreen content is any content that is not dated. News is a great example of dated content. Evergreen content is designed to remain relevant for as long as possible, covers a general subject on a topic that does not change frequently, and is helpful to your customers. Great examples include a guide to fitting shoes for a shoe store or an introduction to your locally sourced ingredients for a restaurant. You can focus on offering helpful content, answering questions, and creating information for local visitors.
Evergreen content focuses on relevance first.
This is the direct opposite of news content, which often is only relevant within a few weeks of being published. You technically want some of each type of content.
How to Create Evergreen Content that Performs Well in Search
One of the most important considerations for evergreen content is that it has to perform well in search. This means tailoring your topics, content, and word usage towards what your potential customers are looking for. Understanding consumer needs allows you to meet those needs with content directly or indirectly related to your customers.
For example, if you frequently have customers asking you how to size your clothing without coming in to a store, you could very easily create a guide, a video, or a blog post that explains how to do so. By talking about your local store, mentioning where you ship to, and telling people where to come into your store, you include the local optimization.
In addition to using evergreen content to answer questions, you can also provide industry knowledge (such as locally sourced, eco-friendly, etc.), care guides (Caring For Walnut Furniture in Seattle Weather), beginners guides (How to create your own website), and case studies (How well our customer did after hiring us). Your three main concerns should be readability, relevance, and optimization. If you don’t see the title and want to click on it to read it, your potential customers won’t either. You also want it to fit into your business and tie into your products. If you’re a shoe store, a leather care article isn’t hugely relevant because the majority of people looking for the content won’t be looking for shoes.
Finally, you should research local keywords to find out what your customers are looking for.
Tips for Creating Great Evergreen Content
- Create topics based around questions, the basics of a subject, care, or other niche relevant ideas that will be just as relevant a year from now.
- Make sure that your topic is something your user will want to read
- Brainstorm ideas, read similar content items on the Internet, and create an outline that covers as much of the topic as possible. Remember that long-form content typically ranks better for evergreen content.
- Research keywords
- Create a plan for integrating optimization. Do you want to talk about your local business? Or talk directly to local consumers?
- Feel free to introduce content in multiple formats. Including a video or an infographic with a blog can be extremely helpful.
- Don’t write for experts (unless all of your customers are experts), use simple language, and try to offer something that only can offer (such as unique advice).
- Rather than writing one long post, consider writing multiple shorter posts divided into topics and link them together like chapters. This allows each page to function individually in search, and allows you to comprehensively cover a topic while still dividing it up into accessible posts that each tackle a very specific subject. For example, if you are talking about how to refinish walnut furniture, you could divide it into steps, and write a full blog post for each.
Evergreen content allows you to drive traffic to your website by putting up information that your potential customers are looking for. For this reason, it is crucial that you research so that you understand what they are looking for.
If you need help with local SEO or other on-site optimization, contact Rory Martin, a Seattle SEO company for more information.